Fish oil has been found to be of great importance in several areas. Studies show that fish oil pills influence the mental health of most people as well. The brain needs omega-3 fatty acids to function well and they are an integral part of fish oil. The constituents of fish oil, EPA and DHA, are required by our bodies. EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) is the stabilizing component of fish oil. People have a preference for fish oil pills as they are devoid of the toxic effects of real fish. Besides, many people, who have an aversion for fish can take fish oil pills.
It has been proved that countries, where fish-eating is a culture, have lower rates of depression, schizophrenia and bipolar. Our brain flourishes on fatty acids and hence lack of it, sends warning signals to the brain. Fish oil pills are the best mood stabilizers as its constituents have a favourable effect on the brain. These pills always keep you in the best of moods. However, it is imperative to take fish oil pills in the correct dose to take advantage of its good effects.
Like all other things, fish oil pills also need to be taken regularly and in the right quantity. Taking it in random doses will not help the body. Studies show that omega-3 has to be taken 1.5 – 3.5 grams daily for its good effects to filter though. Food has to be taken adequately with the fish oils or you will end up with a not-so-fresh feeling. Taking fish oil pills will smooth your nerves and act as the perfect mood stabilizer.
There is no clear rule for fish oil dosage as it can vary according to your age, physical condition and underlying health condition. The presence of omega-3 fatty acid varies in different kinds of fish oil and fish oil products and the recommendations of doses for different diseases are based on omega-3 fatty acid content. So it is difficult to figure out the correct fish oil dosage for anyone. But the medical researchers, scientists, physician and educators have published a fish oil dosage recommendation list based on the current medical data.
- The recommended fish oil dosage for pregnant is 200mg to 1 gram per day.
- For the normal healthy adults 2 gram of fish oil intake per day is good to retain normal health.
- An average of 2 gram of best quality fish oil can bless you with a healthy heart. However, the fish oil dosage can be increased if you are suffering from any cardiac disorder, but it depends on the intensity of the disease.
- Type-2 diabetics can be benefited from fish oil supplements containing 1.2 grams of DHA and 1.8 gram of EPA.
- 1-2 grams of fish oil intake is enough to boost your normal mental health. But, for the patients suffering from depression, an increase of EPA level in the dosage is generally suggested.
The above recommendation is based on general study. Your physician can better advise you regarding the omega-3 supplements that your body needs. So, the bottom line is your fish oil intake should be guided by the recommendation of your physician.