Vitamin D is required by the body in small quantities. The daily requirements of the body can be fulfilled by exposing the body to about 15 minutes of sunshine on alternate days. The Sun is the natural source of Vitamin D. This method of producing Vitamin D naturally is the best and does not lead to an overdose. Food sources too do not lead to Vitamin D overdose. It is however the supplements which are the main culprits in this case. The body has no mechanism to selectively shutdown the consumption of extra Vitamin D and this result in Vitamin D toxicity.
Excess Vitamin D accumulates in the fat cells leading to a disease called Vitaminosis. Vitamin D overdose is also responsible for a host of other problems. It increases the level of calcium in the blood, lungs, heart and kidney. This damages the organs beyond repair. It also causes nausea, loss of appetite and weight. Vitamin D overdose in pregnant mothers can cause retardation in babies. High blood pressure and heart diseases also result from it. Hence a proper doctor should be consulted before taking any Vitamin D supplements. The exact dose and the time period should be ascertained.
One can come to know about Vitamin D toxicity by observing the symptoms present in the person. He is very likely to suffer from bone loss and severe pain in the bones. He will feel very weak, nervous and irritable. He will never tire of drinking water and his skin will be very itchy. Headache and deafness are also noticed in most people. It is therefore pertinent to visit a doctor and lose no time in being treated. This is the best way to overcome Vitamin D overdose.