There is no clear rule for fish oil dosage as it can vary according to your age, physical condition and underlying health condition. The presence of omega-3 fatty acid varies in different kinds of fish oil and fish oil products and the recommendations of doses for different diseases are based on omega-3 fatty acid content. So it is difficult to figure out the correct fish oil dosage for anyone. But the medical researchers, scientists, physician and educators have published a fish oil dosage recommendation list based on the current medical data.
- The recommended fish oil dosage for pregnant is 200mg to 1 gram per day.
- For the normal healthy adults 2 gram of fish oil intake per day is good to retain normal health.
- An average of 2 gram of best quality fish oil can bless you with a healthy heart. However, the fish oil dosage can be increased if you are suffering from any cardiac disorder, but it depends on the intensity of the disease.
- Type-2 diabetics can be benefited from fish oil supplements containing 1.2 grams of DHA and 1.8 gram of EPA.
- 1-2 grams of fish oil intake is enough to boost your normal mental health. But, for the patients suffering from depression, an increase of EPA level in the dosage is generally suggested.
The above recommendation is based on general study. Your physician can better advise you regarding the omega-3 supplements that your body needs. So, the bottom line is your fish oil intake should be guided by the recommendation of your physician.