Fish oil is gaining in popularity because of its infinite number of good qualities. The omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil is extremely helpful in treating many heart problems, inflammation in the body and several afflictions of the mind. But it is also equally important to find out about the dosage. Fish oil dosage will determine whether your body will respond to the positive effects of fish oil. Fish oil dosage has the power to make your body healthy and free from many diseases.
The dosage is usually mentioned on top of the bottle. But you cannot generalize the dosage for all categories of people. The fish oil dosage will vary for children and old people. It will also be different for pregnant ladies. Your health condition is another factor affecting fish oil dosage.
- For pregnant women: About 200mg/day of DHA is recommended for pregnant and lactating mothers. 1-2 servings of oily fish are also supposed to be taken by expectant mothers. This will increase the DHA level in the brain of the unborn child.
- For children under 18: The fish oil dosage is yet to be determined for young kids. The level of activity is so huge that the exact dosage is still under study.
- Healthy adults: The expected fish oil dosage is about 500mg/day. This will be enough to counter problems due to heart failure.
- Infants: Omega-3 fatty acids increase a child’s immunity and even his visual acuity is improved. This dosage is still under review and scientists have still to establish the right amount for pre-term infants.
Fish oil dosage has great importance as the value of fish oil lies in it. Unless you take the correct dose, you will never reap its good effects.
Fish oil is the best source of omega-3 fatty acids like DHA and EPA. But people are also trying to find alternative means for providing these fatty acids. Many other plant extracts are hoping to replace fish oil but none of them are as good as fish oil. They either lack EPA and DHA or do not have sufficient quantities of it. But fish oil has abundant quantities of these fatty acids which are naturally produced. But looking at the number of options available for fish oil, we have to determine the best fish oil to be consumed. The best fish oil will fulfill certain criteria to be awarded the top position.
• The species of fish used must be clearly mentioned on the bottle. Tuna, salmon and sardines are the popular choices.
• The best fish oil must also mention that it contains omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. There is no use in consuming just “fish oil”.
• The amount of fatty acids in the best fish oil should be also written on the bottle. It is important to take the correct dose.
• Find out from which part of the fish the oil is extracted. The fish oil should normally be extracted from the flesh and not head or tail.
• You should ensure that you are buying from a legitimate source which can be trusted to give you quality products. The fish used should not be diseased.
• The best fish oil must be free from toxins, pesticides and heavy metals.
• Make sure that the fish oil is not molecularly distilled. This process takes away the natural oils.
If you are observant enough and buy the best fish oil, then you are sure to have a healthy body.
Fish oil can be categorized into two types. One is the oil obtained from the tissue of the fish and the other is the oil extracted from the liver of the fish. The advantages of fish oil can be enumerated as:
• Fish oil is an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids, the EPA and the DHA
• The body is unable to synthesize the above by itself and so it has to be supplemented by some dietary inclusions, like the fish oil.
• Fish oil contains high levels of Vitamin A and D. Vitamin A helps in night vision and Vitamin D helps in providing the much needed calcium, for bones and teeth.